Wednesday, July 2, 2014

See you in San Antonio!

Good news! I get to go to the Federation of Genealogical Societies 2014 conference in San Antonio!

Even though I only live 3 hours away, it wasn't a done deal. I have a husband who works out of state and a child without a driver's license. Someone had to play taxi that week. My husband will be working from home so I can make this trip.

I signed up for Librarians' Day and I'm really looking forward to it. I really want to stay current on collection development, especially for genealogy resources. 

I did not sign up for any ticketed lunches. I realize that's the figurative bread and butter for many genealogy groups, but I think I'll use lunch time to explore the city. I also didn't sign up for the big ticketed events. I know, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm not a big fan of....people. There, now you know.

There are many conference sessions that look so good to me:

"Have You Really Done the Dawes?" by Linda Woodward Geiger
Well, I thought so....but maybe not? My Chickasaw ancestors are all up in those records, but maybe I don't know what I don't know.

"Davy Crockett: Following the Trail From Limestone to Texas" by J. Mark Lowe
This session discusses Southern families who migrated to the Republic of Texas. I have those. I love hearing Mark speak. Win/win.

"Finding Your Ancestors in the Republic of Texas" by Teri E. Flack
I have a few documents for my Bourlands in the Republic of Texas. I want more. Hopefully this session shows me how to get more.

Ugh, there are so many good sessions. Some at the same time of others. This will be a difficult choice.

Since I am attending Librarians' Day, I'll arrive in San Antonio Monday afternoon. Anyone else getting there that early?

San Antonio is a wonderful setting for a conference. Walking distance to the Alamo (it's small!), Riverwalk and numerous restaurants. The convention center is nice, too. You'll like it.

Will I see you there?


1 comment:

  1. I wish, but it's the first week of classes at my university and our library (with its new Learning Commons) will be hopping. I do plan to make the four-drive down to visit the exhibit hall (free!) on Saturday and then go on to visit my 85-year-old parents (whose 60th anniversary will be a couple weeks later) in Austin. By the way, Teri Flack is excellent.

    ReplyDelete